This article is about bearings – how they are to be defined and what are the various classifications best known to us. This series of article will enlighten you more about bearings.
Bearing is a machine element that have constrained relative motions and used to reduces friction between moving parts of machine to obtain desired motion or we can say that the machine elements which are support the rotating parts of a machine and reduce friction are called bearings. For example to stop deviation in a shaft of a machine while rotating, a bearing is used.
The word bearing is derived from the verb “to bear”. A bearing is a machine element that allows one part to bear another. The main functions of bearings are
- To reduce friction between moving rotatory parts.
- To support rotating parts of a machine.
- To bear radial and thrust load.
Let me first list down the uses or to put it rightly the advantages of bearings as a whole.
- They assist in easy rotary action thereby reducing the effort or power required. Just think about your pulling your vacuum cleaner around the home without any wheels or without any bearings to the wheels.
- They assist in carrying loads or assist in transferring the loads from something that tends to rotate to something which is stationary and has the capability to carry the loads. Just visualize the giant wheel that rotates on bearings, the complete weight of us along with the weight of the giant wheel is transferred to the
- stationery holding structurof the giant wheel by the bearings.
But there is one important aspect which has to be cared for, “Lubrication” without which the bearings will not be able to perform the above mentioned duties at the best. We will look into more detail on the lubrication aspects of the bearings in the forthcoming articles.